Wednesday 29 June 2011

A very good day

Today has been excellent! It's my rest day from work, but, what with the heat and general unchanging scenery in our flat, my husband & I decided to go on a relaxing trip out into the cool, seaside air. I don't think I can emphasise how positive an effect this has had on my spirits; I feel refreshed, healthy (for the walking) and calm.

Whilst we were out, I also passed two mini-milestones that I thought I'd note here:

  • Firstly, I ate potato skins. One of them actually turned out to have sweetcorn in the topping, too, so I chewed them very, very well, and am pleased to say that I haven't had any negative side-effects so far. My stoma was pretty noisy this evening in response, I think, but as I was home, I didn't mind. I'm so happy about this: potato skins and sweetcorn are two things I love and two that I thought I'd definitely have to avoid in the future. 
  • Secondly, I went into a lingerie shop and tried some things on. This wouldn't be hugely unusual, but it's the first time I've been into a changing room since my operation and so I had to take a few moments to get used to my reflection; both the addition of the scar and bag, and the subtraction of some of my curves (fortunately, not all of them, and thankfully I no longer look like a slightly grey, sunken-eyed school girl, like I did in hospital!). I can't quite explain it, but I get the sense that I came to terms with something whilst looking at that reflection. I'll try to explore it a little bit over the next few days, but right now, I'm going to go to bed.

It's been a very good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment