Monday 27 June 2011

Driving!

I felt a little negative when posting that last entry, so I thought I'd end the day with something a little more positive: driving. I posted a while ago, when I was pondering driving after my surgery, and had to go through the horrors of calling up my car insurance company for no real reason. Well, about a month on, and I'm driving like normal and have had no problems whatsoever - no leaks, no unexpected aches or pains, and no (apparent) memory loss regarding my actual ability to drive!

The only difference between my driving, pre- and post-colon-removal, is that I now drive with a hand towel folded up and across my tummy, to protect my stoma from my seat-belt. I sometimes forget this, but find it more comfortable when I have it. And what's really great about it is that it was easy to find, is easy to store, and, should I ever have a leak in the car, I can use it to pad it out until I can get somewhere to fix things!

Driving again has helped me to feel more independent and capable, and has meant that my husband & I have another method of transport to use when one or both of us need to just get out of our flat, which we've spent much more time in recently than we were used to! I've never been one of those people who loves driving for the sake of it - indeed, when I was learning to drive and just after I passed my test, I absolutely hated driving - but I am so happy that I simply can.

No comments:

Post a Comment