Saturday 18 June 2011

Stoma Nurses

I would like to dedicate this post (whatever that may count for) to all of the wonderful, encouraging stoma nurses out there, who make living with and learning about a stoma so much easier. I don't think I can emphasise enough how supportive and helpful these people are. 

A stoma nurse was the first person to change my bag, post-operation, and I remember his patient, encouraging smile and words as I helplessly looked at my stomach for the first time in horror (I had never had an operation before this and so the primary focus of this horror was the central, stitched-up wound down my tummy). He cleaned the stoma slowly, but masterfully, whilst I sleepily wondered how on earth I would manage this task myself.

A couple of days later, when I was out of high care, the same nurse helped me clean the stoma myself and watched on with the same calm, understanding patience as before, talking me through everything and giving encouraging words.

The first time I changed by bag completely by myself, I was convinced that I wasn't ready, and it was only his patient insistence that he had confidence in my bag-changing ability that meant that I tried. Sure enough, I changed it without problems and my self-confidence went up a much-needed point.

I won't deny that every time I knew that I had to change my bag, I felt like asking my stoma nurse to do it for me, whether it be because I was tired, worried that I'd do myself some crazy harm, or wanting to remove myself a little from the practicalities presented to me by my stoma. But my stoma nurse understood this and, every time, offered me just the right level of encouragement to make me think that maybe I could or should do it myself, until eventually it didn't worry me any more. I believe it took a very special person to do this without coming across as condescending or mean, and that's why I'm so immensely grateful.


Stoma care problem-solving!

Now that I'm out of hospital and changing my bag every two or three days, there are still things that I worry about. Is that red patch of skin okay? Why's that bit of my stoma bleeding? Why does the left-hand side of my bag always start to lift after a day?

My stoma nurse still saves the day with all of these issues! There are skin barrier wipes to protect any red patches. The slight bleeding is normal, don't worry. The lifting is because my stomach - like many people's, I imagine - isn't perfectly flat and so the left-hand side is under more pressure to pull away from the skin. My stoma nurse recommended I try the Clinimed Hydro Frame strips, which are extension strips of sticky stuff that give just that extra bit of support to the left-hand side and now means I can generally keep a bag on for three, rather than two, days.


Essentially, I just wanted to use this post to say a huge thank you to all of the stoma nurses out there and to make a note of what a marvellous source of support and information they are. I certainly wouldn't be where I am along the journey of recovery without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment