Tuesday 12 July 2011

Waiting out the hair loss

So... my hair's still falling out, but it's also still falling out pretty evenly all over, so I continue to be grateful for that. I've undertaken a number of steps to battle/slow down/cover up this, which I thought I'd list here.

  • I'm taking vitamin B supplements in addition to my daily chewy multivitamin, as recommended by a pharmacist (if you've got an ileostomy, best to check with a pharmacist about which ones are best for you - I've read that some coated tablets sometimes don't completely digest within the small intestine and so will just pop out into your bag without helping in the slightest).
  • I'm also eating various foods that are supposed to be good for your hair, including liver, which I've really never eaten before. It's not that bad, honest.
  • When I do wash my hair, I'm using a 2-in-1 children's shampoo & conditioner, which - as well as being gentle and no-tears - smells lovely, of strawberries. It also means that I only have to put one product on in the shower, thus reducing the amount of hair that I - unintentionally - pull out every time I touch my head.
  • I normally wash my hair every day, but am currently trying to only do so every other day. On my "off" days, I use the Batiste dry shampoo that was so brilliant when I was in hospital, which freshens my hair up when I brush it (without any extra hair-pulling).
  • My mother-in-law bought me a new hair brush that's supposed to encourage healthy hair growth by stimulating the scalp. A very good friend who's also going through a similar experience following surgery has bought a Tangle Teezer, which she said was v. good at brushing hair and detangling at the same time, which results in fewer hairs falling out. I might look to getting one of these, too.
  • Finally, I'm experimenting with hair scarves and bands to try and cover up the increasingly noticeable skin beneath my parting (as seen below). I sometimes curl my hair in an attempt at a vintage style, so the picture with the scarf was following a tutoral by Antje from the Fedora Lounge. Another great thing about this style was that the scarf "boosted" my thinning hair from underneath, making it appear like it had more volume (although it doesn't look like it in this phone-camera pic, unfortunately). It made me feel a lot better about my appearance, not having to see my increasingly-bald patch at the front (even if no-one else notices it, I do!). Definitely worth the £2 for the scarf!


No comments:

Post a Comment