Sunday 10 July 2011

The day that alcohol was not my friend

I am seriously ashamed. The other day, I was drunk. Very drunk. So drunk that I was ill, which has only ever happened once before (when I was much younger and more naive), and it was completely my own fault.

I've mentioned before that my husband & I go to some gin events. My favourite tipple is scotch whisky. We enjoy alcohol and probably drink more of it than lots of people we know, but it's very rare that we drink excessively. When I had recovered from my operation to the point where I felt strong enough to try a drink, I did. And I was fine. No problems whatsoever. So the next time we were out, I tried two drinks, and - again - I was okay. The other day, I was not okay.

I know why I wasn't okay: I didn't drink enough water. I was ridiculously stupid. There was one pitiful moment where I went to the bathroom, only to be shocked at seeing my bag. I had genuinely forgotten that it was there and - more seriously - that I now dehydrate even more quickly than I used to. Subconsciously, I think I wanted to forget about it and just "be normal" again for the evening. I think this is covered in my occupational health report by the comment that I "haven't yet come to terms with the long-term effects of [my] illness". <sigh>

The main reason I'm posting this is to encourage anyone with a new ileostomy to keep on top of their hydration, especially when drinking alcohol and in the warmer weather. From various forum threads that I've read, alcohol seems to effect different ileostomates differently (some people find themselves less likely to get drunk than beforehand, whereas others have given alcohol up completely), but the lesson that I've learned - the hard way - is two-fold:

  1. Take it slow. So slow that there's absolutely no danger of your "forgetting" to take it slow. Basically, ensure that you stay self-aware.
  2. Keep yourself well-hydrated.
I'm going back to only having two (alcoholic) drinks on an evening out and we'll see where things go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment