Monday 15 August 2011

A trip to the Isle of Wight


My husband & I returned today from a trip to Cowes Week, where we had a marvellous time at an event hosted by Talisker whisky. We had a lovely whisky tasting - that I'll be writing up on SummerFruitCup.com this week - ate fish & chips not more than 10m from the sea, and finally set sail (figuratively speaking) aboard a catamaran to watch Master and Commander at the world's first "sail-in cinema". That's like a drive-in cinema, but on water!

The screen looks tiny, but I thought that the sail-in cinema worked well.
I'll admit that I was worried at the prospect of going on a boat (having experienced some less-than-ideal toilet facilities on some smaller boats), but I took three loperamide tablets when we were having the fish 'n' chips and that seemed to slow my output down enough so that I only had to empty twice during the evening.

A simple, but helpful tip from the IA Support forums gave that I took advantage of was putting a couple of sheets of toilet paper into the toilet bowl before emptying. This meant that, when flushing, - and I apologise if this is too much information for some - everything gets swept away in one neat flush. I use a similar method when I have to empty in toilets on trains, which are much worse than the ones on this boat. Sailing is just one more little milestone to add to my post-ileostomy list!

I'm also pleased to announce that I successfully managed my alcohol intake on this trip, which is something that I'm very happy about. We tried four different whiskies and I had them all, but I also drank a litre of water at the same time and both felt fine after and had no watery output. During the evening, I had a couple of long cocktails and another whisky, but all spread out over a few hours and accompanied by another litre of water.

My final challenge was when we got back to the hotel where we were staying and we decided to have a nightcap with some friends we'd met during the day. I thought about it and went for a pint of coke. As a result, no hangover, no disorientation, and no diarrhea. Excellent! No doubt I'll have a few more bad experiences as I continue to practice finding this new balance of hydration, but I'm pleased to have found it this once.

No comments:

Post a Comment