Saturday 7 July 2012

Hair Loss - A Summary of Recovery

The other day, I came across a couple of posts from the summer of last year on the blog that I write with my husband. I was somewhat shocked to realise just how bad of a condition my hair was in; evidence below (the subject matter of our blog explains the glass of whisky in my hand in both pictures).


The picture on the left was from August 2011, so four months after my operation. The thinning had slowed, but it there wasn't too much left. I generally either let it be, like in the picture, or wrapped a scarf/hair-band around it to try and mask the gaps in my parting.

The picture on the right was from November 2011 (seven months post-op). Most of the hair had started to grow back, but those strands were only 3 or 4 inches long at the longest. As a result, I felt like a bit of a muppet, with tufts of hair along my parting giving everything a weird shape. At this stage, I'm sorry to say that I couldn't find anything in particular to hide this (other than wear a hat!), but I was encouraged by the regrowth and crossed my fingers that it wouldn't last too long.

By April 2012 (one year post-op), my hair was very nearly back to normal. Only the slowest-growing hairs (most at the centre of my parting) weren't yet long enough to sit flat. 


The above picture is from June 2012 (please ignore the messy do - it's finally about time for another haircut! My hairdresser recommended leaving it until those last few short hairs had grown long enough to lie flat). Interestingly, my hair's gone rather curly - drying naturally into ringlets if I let it - which is a nice surprise and seems like a hidden blessing after a year's worth of waiting. 

P.S. Please forgive the number of photographs (and bad hairstyles) in this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment