Thursday 12 April 2012

10 more things this process has taught me

  1. The human body is amazing and so, so resilient.
  2. The online IBD support community is also amazing and resilient.
  3. Keeping hydrated is so very important to feeling strong, alert and energetic. Before my ileostomy, I must have spent countless days feeling "blah" and just putting it down to a virus or something when all I needed to do was drink some water.
  4. Food takes 4-6 hours to go through the remainder of my insides.
  5. If I don't want to have to get up in the night, I shouldn't eat at all after 7pm.
  6. Banana + Doritos + No drink to wash it all down with = Pain
  7. My stoma appears to have a sense of both humour and timing.
  8. It might take a while (11 months!), but your hair can definitely grow back.
  9. The person most likely to notice your stoma bag is you.
  10. Coming to terms with having a stoma can take a little while and one of the best ways to help this process along is to speak to someone who has experienced, or is experiencing, the same feelings and to talk about them. Share your thoughts and try your best to offer a helping hand where you know it's needed most.

No comments:

Post a Comment