Thursday 18 August 2011

Hair loss, pt. 3

My hair finally seems to have stopped falling out (especially in the shower), which is somewhat of a relief, given that it was starting to look like I wouldn't have much left for much longer. I can now wash my hair without pulling out handfuls, and - better still - I've noticed a distinctive, thicker layer of hair underneath my thinner, longer layer.  It's particularly noticeable near my ears where, if I lift up the thin, straggly ends that remain, you can see a load of hairs that are about 5 or 6cm shorter.

This has made my feel a lot better over the past week or so. So much so, that I've stopped wearing hair bands and scarves every day, even though the thin patches on top haven't disappeared; it's amazing what hope can do, eh?

My GP initially told me that my hair should grow back within a month or two, but it's taken about 2.5 months to get to this stage, so I don't imagine it'll be back to normal before 5 or 6 months post-op (my hair only started falling out 2 months post-op.). I just want to reassure anyone going through this at the moment that it does get better - just hang in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment